Old April 22nd 13, 08:12 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity
Steve Willner

Default Gravity waves: Inflationary Big Bang vs. Cyclic Universe?

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
What do the E- and B-mode polarizations mean anyway?

They describe the pattern of polarization seen on the sky. One of
the references I gave earlier shows examples, and a web search will
find others.

In principle, either pattern can have any wavelength; the wavelengths
and patterns depend on what physical process caused the polarization.
So far as we know now, only inflation can create B-mode patterns.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA