Old April 13th 13, 10:43 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity
xxein[_5_]

Default Gravity waves: Inflationary Big Bang vs. Cyclic Universe?

On Apr 12, 8:40*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I was watching a program which were comparing various Big Bang theories
against each other. In it, they said one way to falsify Inflation vs.
Cyclic Universe theories is that a Cyclic Universe will *not* produce
gravity waves. Does anybody know why this would be the case? One would
think that whatever mechanism lead to the BB, would always cause a lot
of gravity ripples.

I found some info on it, but it doesn't really explain what leads to
this conclusion:

*The one possible test that they point to that could distinguish the inflation and cyclic scenarios is the expected more sensitive measurement in coming years of a possible B-mode polarization signal due to gravity waves in the CMB. They claim that inflation predicts a significant amount of B-mode polarization, whereas the cyclic model doesn’t.

Endless Universe | Not Even Wronghttp://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=563

* * * * Yousuf Khan

xxein: Wublee comes close. He explains that the math is similar to
EM. But it just doesn't follow that the math is describing a physical
wave. EM is just an escape function for energy. It has its
longitudinal length appear as a "wave" because the pulse energy is
released as building to a peak and then decreasing down until the next
pulse. Pictorially as an ocean wave.

A so-called 'gravity wave' is different in that it changes the dynamic
equlibrium of the temporary state of the present energy in the
universe because of the changes of position of the causal mass. And
it does not end there. The energy is forced to continuously seek its
equilibrium.

There is much more to it than that though. No one can comprehend all
the complexities that come with it. And then there is that pesky
E=mc^2. 'E' as provided by EM radiation? Or E the result of causal
change of its position in a temporal equilibrium i.e. just a flow from
here to there to seek an equilibrium? Could it be acceptable that the
notion we have as a wave has infinitely complex behavior beyond our
knowledge?

I think we can have both at scale. Whether a sunburn or metabolic
change that allows something like a cancer to occur, or the
astronomical motions, they all have something in common but are
witnessed at different scales of belief that we yet have to unite.

The same as considering a gravity wave as a 'wave' without knowing or
considering any other explanation.

I would welcome any intelligent discussion on this. Just label it
"xxein and gravity" for post or email.