Old October 19th 17, 04:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Supernova structure

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 1:45:56 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

When stars evolve to their giant phase the effective surface gravity at
their equator means that the outward solar wind is strongest in the
equatorial plane. Planetary nebulae like M57 and (misleadingly named
for how they looked a bit like planetary disks in early telescopes) are
examples of stars shedding their outer atmosphere in later life.

The geometry of two large external rings and a smaller intersecting ring surrounding a post-supernova star indicate that not only do stars survive but a solar system emerges from the spectacular transition. I would like to think there is enough spirit left in a person that they wouldn't shut out the possibility even aside from the fact that I worked on these rings long before they were observed in May 1994.