Old March 16th 17, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Musk plans for mars

In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 3:41:42 PM UTC-4, JF Mezei wrote:
Musk outlined some plans for mars colonisation. He says the plan is to
bring transport costs down by many orders of magnitudes so tha
Musk wants to R&D so that carbon fibre can be used for tanks.

Just a note of advice. Before actual flight to Mars, a
human rated rocket needs to be demonstrated. AND a human
rated orbiter and lander and re-lifter needs demonstration.
Also the engine for the trip needs lifting to orbit at Earth also.

FalconX is failed and nonhuman ratable.

Bull****. You fix the issues and keep flying. SpaceX just won another
GPS 3 launch contract from DOD. I guess Falcon 9 is still good enough
for GPS 3 satellites.

NASA needs Falcon 9 to launch Dragon 2 for commercial crew. I'm sure
NASA and SpaceX will continue to work together to resolve any issues
until NASA feels it's safe enough to fly. Safe enough doesn't mean
perfect safety. You're never going to have perfect safety in any
transportation system, even walking.

So Musk need to begin finally.

NOW. Is the design even in the cad stations even? Is
Musk playing a sales pitch or are engineers functioning?
The best way for Musk to go to Mars is to use NASA's
booster. Orion is the name or Delta?

NASA is developing SLS, the Space Launch System. It's a fancy name for
a partly shuttle derived "inline" launch vehicle with an all new upper
stage. It's also going to cost well over $1 billion per launch. Just
how much it will cost depends on details like how often it launches.

Suffice it to say that SpaceX is better off building its own vehicles
since they'll be far cheaper.

Jeff

Use Orion Musk.

Orion is NASA's bloated capsule that's too heavy to launch (when it's
fully fueled) on pretty much anything but SLS. Why would SpaceX ever
want that? It would likely add about another $1 billion to the mission,
so now you're up to $2 billion, and you haven't even paid for a HAB to
get you to Mars. Since Orion is only good for 21 days on its own,
that's not going to get you to Mars and back.

Jeff