Old October 19th 10, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Joseph Schmosovich

Default ASTRO: ATTN: Glen M33 my attempts.. - 2 attachments

..
....Glen thanks for your reply , I do use a OSC Cam, the ST4000XCM,
the LRGB files are approx 16meg ea, there are some that use this
sig that wouldnt appreciate 60megs of images.. after viewing
what you were able to do with the low res jpg i decided to slow
down and re-process my m33 image, i now believe that it is a black
hole due to the ammount of time it sucked (hhaha). I believe the
biggest problems i have are lack of experience & lack of patience,
of course more aperture and higher quality lens would help too..
i'm currently using CCDops-v5.47 for image aquisition and LRGB
extraction, CCDstack-v2(9-38) for pre & post stack processing,
PhotoShopCS3-v10.0 for layering etc.. i've tried to use MaximDL
Suite v5.08 but it seems to me to be 1) overly complicated even
for basic functions and 2) seems to have bugs/quirks that are
frustrating and very time consuming while in the process of imaging..
The re-processed version of my m33 i used the typical dark/flat
subtraction, registration, deconv/sharp techniques and then many
many hours of layer mask upon layer mask tweeking, I used variations
of techniques described by many astro-photographers on the internet
most notably:
Jerry Lodriguss http://www.astropix.com/
Ken Crawford http://imagingdeepsky.com/
...i had also forgotten about some astro-photo type PhotoShop Actions
that i found while cruz'g the internet year or two ago.. i've only
tried the Star-Halo so far.. its seems to work pretty well but it
attacks the entire image, not very descriminate.. the source is
unknown, in fact i've found a couple of copies with what looks like
the exact same functions copy-righted by two diff people and dates,
anyhow i'll post to this group.. please view my m33 and tell me what
you think about it, thx...
..
IIIDaemon
http://www/GasRecovery.net

glen youman wrote in
:

There are a number of very knowledgeable people that post here whom
can give you some very good advice.

Will need some more information though, camera, scope, exposure time,
image processing software, etc.

It would be most helpful if you could post the calibrated, aligned and
stacked individual color channels and the luminance images, I'm
assuming a camera other than an OSC (one shot color). I have zero
experience with OSC cameras but there are others here that do have
experience.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:19:15 -0500, Joseph Schmosovich
wrote:

.
...I've also been trying to capture M33 and it has been
very discouraging for me, originally i blamed it on my
poor site (approx 18mi north of dwn town Dallas, Tx) so
i went to a park approx 20mi north of here (M33-10Oct10)
results were not much better 80min total subs gray scale
looks moderate i think but the color is pitiful.. so i
went to a site 132mi west of here Very Dark and my M33
is still ..not good (M33-15Oct10) the more i try to
squeeze out color and detail the worse it gets.. if you've
got the time and dont mind i would appreciate any suggestions
you might have... thanks in advance