Old June 13th 05, 10:50 AM
AnteroMetso

Default KLI-5001E sensor

Hello,

I bought a KLI-5001E linear CCD sensor from Ebay for a study project work.
I am trying to take close pictures of the aurora from an object
rotating at 3.6 Hz frequency. I am planning to place the sensor on the
wall of the object, and let the rotation do the scanning. The sensor data
sheet claim about 85% quantum efficiency at aurora green area. I
calculated, that at 3.5 Hz there is only 1/(360*3.5) = 1/1250 seconds
combined exposure and transfer time left for each degree of resolution. My
plan was to sample for a couple of seconds, and then later find the period
from the data, and add the data from a few periods together.

What do you think, CCD gurus? What is the minimum exposure time for taking
pictures of the aurora with a 85% QE device?

Sincerely,

/Antero