Old September 19th 18, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 19/09/2018 14:22, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:57:53 +0200, Paul Schlyter wrote:

I believe the galaxy and the universe has a large population,
likely in a uniform civilization, except for the
johnny-come-latelies like ourselves. If that's true, then we
won't be allowed to interfere
with
other developing cultures.

And what if it is false? Beliefs can be wrong.

Until we either meet one of them or exchange signals or find
independently evolved light on another planet it is guesswork.

Admittedly some guesses are better than others. Big bang
cosmology coupled with the laws of physics followed by Darwinian
evolution having considerably higher credence than some
omnipotent deity deciding on a whim to create the universe last
Tuesday* and fake all the history of his new creation like a
dodgy antique dealer to make it look older.

* Some sources think it was a Monday 6000 years ago.

You imply that theology offers a scientific hypothesis that can be
judged on scientific criteria.

As is so often the case among atheists, you have no idea what science
is. You certainly can't identify its absence.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek