Old May 12th 09, 11:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Typinski[_3_]

Default Celestial sphere image?

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In sci.astro.amateur message
, Sun, 10 May 2009 20:57:16, Dave Typinski

posted:

As I've mentioned before, I'm making some animations to show Earth's
rotation, orbit, precession, and all that other fun rotational stuff.
Blame it on Oriel.

As you know how to do that sort of thing ...

There are plenty of maps of the Celestial Sphere showing the positions
of stars & nebulae, and sometimes of other things real and artificial -
sun, moon, planets, the ecliptic, lines of celestial lat & long,
constellation borders, constellation figures.

But I don't recall one primarily showing orbital and rotational axes
projected on to the Sphere. Those for the major Solar System objects
must be well enough known, as is that for at least our Galaxy.

True enough. One could embellish the sphere with all sorts of
celestial equators and rotational axes. Good project for the future;
thanks for the idea.

ISTM that such a map would be of interest; it would have also some
indication of lat and long, the ecliptic, and perhaps the shapes of
three of four zodiacal constellation, and of UMa/UMi, and of whatever
seems best for the South Pole (the Cross & the Clouds?), for indicating
orientation. There would be room to indicate the paths of precession,
too.

Yep. All sorts of nifty visualizations can be included.
--
Dave