Old January 12th 04, 01:41 PM
Poliisi

Default Why we can't go to Mars (yet)

No. But I suspect that the first men going to Mars might
well stay in orbit and direct rovers more quickly; with a
time lag of seconds instead of many minutes, they can do
a lot more.

I think not, the current rovers will find their own path, mission
controllers just tell the general directions. If i remember correctly, the
Sojourner (or what was it) almost flipped over because the mission
controllers wanted to manually control its moves and ended up rotating over
huge (2x rover size) rock. After that they switched back to AI.

I bet the Spirit could drive to distant rock with single command.