Old May 2nd 17, 08:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Coming full circle

For those who fret about killfiles or some other childish nonsense the fact is that this is an unmoderated forum and I encourage people not to read my contributions or better still, move to the moderated forums where they will be wrapped up in the mediocrity of approved behavior.

Now back to the thread.

At least Newton was interesting in terms of forensics as to what he tried to do with astronomical observations inherited from the geocentric and Sun centered astronomers unlike his followers who seem not to be able to engage with either group. I could short circuit the whole thing and bring up the timekeeping facility known as the Equation of Time which bundles the Earth's dual surface rotations which create the observed natural inequality in the passage of the Sun across the observer's meridian but there is more to be gained by looking at the original scheme where geocentricity morphs into a moving Earth in a Sun centered system

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

Being among contributors who are entirely influenced by a story such as 20th century relativity and believe it is an achievement of massive proportions can be funny considering that most people here now know that the Equation of Time represents an observation with so much astronomical content relating to the motions of the Earth. So,after wasting a century on a bad wordplay based on Newton's definitions, we have come full circle back to the original definitions as they were intended. The purpose here is to build on the original approaches the Sun centered astronomers took by modification and adaptation of contemporary imaging rather than being stuck with forensics arising from a mathematician's wreckage of astronomical methods and insights.