Old February 22nd 13, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

Default The Russian meteor

I am using a piece of software called nvda. Look at www.nvda-project.org
You can try it syourself. I got fed up with huge costs for commercial
readers.
As for smilies etc, well, I could define the sequences in the dictionary
if there were standards, but it seems there are not. It would speak a series
of punctuation and other chracters as the desired phrase.. as I say, not
bothered and as I tend to use a minimal verbosity where only the effect of
punctuation is heard not the character itself it might need further work..
grin.
Brian

Well if you could define your own dictionary you could probably do ok
with the following translations:

Colon, dash, right parenthesis could translate to "ha ha ha" or "happy
face". Colon, dash, left parenthesis could translate to "sniffle" or
"sad face".

That would likely cover nearly 90% of the usage cases.

Dave