Old January 24th 11, 02:28 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

Default Falling into the same trap as Shuttle has

Brian Thorn wrote:
NASA's Outer Planets Assessment Group reported $486 million in 2007.
(Hence, they recommended the less-powerful Atlas 551.)

The $486 million figure was in the cost details appendix in this
document,
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/jso_final_report.pdf
But that table has since been deleted as "details not available for
public release" (surprise, surprise.)

Thanks for that pointer, note also there are actually two tables in this
document. Table 4.10-1 (pg 4-66) JSO Baseline Cost by Level 2 WBS which breaks
out the cost of a D-IVH LV at $486 million and a cost-reduced study in Chapter
5 "DESCOPED MISSION IMPLEMENTATION" that removes two instruments for launching
on an Atlas V-551 where the cost estimate in Table 5.10-1 (pg 5-5) listing it
at $191 million.

Can't find mention of any second stage for the D-IVH configuration, whereas
Centaur is mentioned for Atlas V-551, surely there is an orbital insertion
upper stage in this design for D-IVH, where am I missing it?

Interesting proposal. Where does it stand? Let me guess, awaiting funding...

Dave