Old April 8th 08, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Al

Default 40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

On Apr 6, 9:01 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Andre Lieven wrote:
The aliens in2001, we got nothing. I wonder if that non depiction in
2001inspiredCarlSagan,bothinhisCosmossensawundaan d in
not showing the aliens in Contact - we only saw one human form
manifestation of them.

It is interesting, in Stanley Kubrick: A Biography: Vincent
Lobrutto......
Lubrutto relates the story that Clarke , knowing Sagan, invited Sagan
to have dinner with Kubrick and Clarke in early 1965. Discussion
turned to how to represent the 'Monolith Makers' in 2001.... Clarke
was for some kind of humanoid aliens, Kubrick non-humanoid aliens,
Sagan thought this over and said something like, 'well guys this alien
civilization is at least 4 million years old, (maybe older)... too
many unknowns and unpredictables about their representation, why ever
show them at all?
Actually Kubrick strove throughout 1967 to still find some
representation, in the end he took Sagan's advice.