Old April 8th 08, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
Kevin Willoughby

Default 40th Anniversary of 2001:A Space Odyssey

In article DNidnaoW1PpnbGvanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@northdakotatelep hone,
says...
Saw the whole thing twice in 70 mm film and Cinerama

No, you did not.

Yes, I belive you saw the whole thing twice in 70mm.

I belive you saw a Cinerama logo on the screen when you saw it in 70mm.

I even belive you saw the movie in a theater with the Cinerama logo over
the entrance.

It is even possible that you saw the movie projected onto a Waller
strip-screen.

But you did not see it in Cinerama.

Cinerama has a remarkable 7/8 channel sound system. 2001 had only 6
channels.

At its core, Cinerama was a virtual reality system that showed a very
high resolution (I.e., more resolution than a 70mm print) image on a
140-degree wide by 55-degree high screen. The original negative of 2001
falls short of this, so no reproduction of the negative could meet this
critera.

There were some early contract negoitations about 2001 where Kubreck was
considering using real Cinerama (with the famous 3-strip negative). It
never happened. Instead, Super Panavision was used. Super Panavision is
good. Very good. But *not* Cinerama.
--
Kevin Willoughby
lid

Kansas City, this was Air Force One. Will you change
our call sign to SAM 27000? -- Col. Ralph Albertazzie