Old June 17th 04, 12:03 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Default National Space Policy: NSDD-42 (issued on July 4th, 1982)

(Henry Spencer) wrote:

Scott M. Kozel wrote:

GPS provides for passive navigational purposes primarily for civil uses,

Hardly. If it was *primarily* for civil uses, it wouldn't be run by the
military. Civil uses are encouraged, but when push comes to shove, GPS is
a military navigation system and the military makes all the decisions.

It is correct to say that -today- it is used primarily for civil uses,
and is quite useful for (and has revolutionized) civil aerial and
surface navigation.

It also will take a lot of continued funding to keep a full
constellation of GPS satellites in place, and that funding will be
provided for civil reasons even if military uses continue to be minor
for the next 10 years or more.

and is not a "weapon".

That part is correct.

That was my main point, as I was disputing the original poster's
assertion that GPS was an offensive military system.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C.