Old December 17th 04, 07:02 AM
Odysseus

CeeBee wrote:

"John den Haan" wrote in alt.astronomy:

Sometimes I wonder what our galaxy would look like from a vantage
point inside the Sagittarius dwarf. Wouldn't it be an absolutely
splendid sight to be able to look at a major galaxy from such 'little'
distance?

Not really. We do the same with the majority of our own galaxy at far
lesser distance, and each clear night you can see the result. Be it from
the sun or from a nearby galaxy, the overall brightness would still be the
same, and in the case you meantion the distance would make it even less
bright.

But even so, the difference in perspective would be illuminating, so
to speak. From here in the plane we see the Galaxy as a fairly
uniform band, and its central regions are mostly obscured. For me at
least, being able to see the hub and some of the spiral structure,
even if only faintly, would be very satisfying.

--
Odysseus