Old October 3rd 18, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 7:24:01 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

It is because it isn't what I'm talking about as "knowability". There
are certainly "things" we can't know. That's not important. The
question is are there rules of nature we can't know? I don't see
evidence of that. I think our understanding of nature can be complete.

It took a long time, and it was awfully hard, to find out that Fermat's last
theorem was true. The Riemann hypothesis still awaits solution.

But math is endless, whereas physics presumably proceeds from a few basic facts.
So, indeed, perhaps we could know all of them. But until we do, and know that we
know all of them, how much complexity nature has is open to question.

John Savard