Old July 19th 14, 03:31 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jos Bergervoet

Default True map of the visible universe?

Is this picture a true map of the visible universe?
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html
It does seem to show the Horlogium, Virgo, and Shapley
superclusters in the center (in diagonally upward line,)
at least if you carefully compare it with the next
zoom-in level. But the fact that you see them would mean
that it is more like a half sphere, where we look onto
the cutting plane, or perhaps even just a slice of the
total cosmic web (since the foreground would most likely
obscure our Virgo supercluster if all was included!)

I'm asking because of all those things to be sorted out
about the observable universe (and the rest) discussed
here recently. In particular: if I copy this to my
smart phone, and also carry a towel of course, will
that always allow me to find my way home?!

--
Jos

[Mod. note: looks like the various views are intended to be a 2D
projection of the contents of a 3D sphere of the radius given in each
case, with the plane shown being the plane of the Milky Way. -- mjh]