Old April 21st 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Leo III (Leo A)

Martin C Germano wrote:

Hi Scott, and all ....

WOW! That's a dwarf galaxy if I ever saw one. I bet Marty Germano would
love to see this image!

I see and am amazed! It's really wonderful what ccd's can do. Rick's image
actually resolves the *stars* in Leo III ... way better than my 14.5" Newt
and Tech Pan.

-- Marty

Martin C Germano
email:
Web film:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mcgermano
ccd: http://home.earthlink.net/~hmgermano/

Thanks
It was your and Scott's tech pan images I never could come close to
equaling. Now I've retired and put in an observatory which makes it so
much easier than lugging the Cave 10" f/5 out in the country and polar
aligning over and over and over again.

As retirement neared I watched your posts along with Scott's here and
they kept the desire to get back into imaging alive. I owe a more to
you two than you can imagine.

This location is nice and dark 6.5 zenith to my aging eyes when sky glow
is down, 6 otherwise but seeing has been a pain this year. Only one or
two nights where it was good enough to run the CCD 1x1. Most of the
time 2x2 was pushing things a bit too much.

My Leo II is at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/4/6/4/4/1176014464.28.jpeg

And my way too blue Leo I:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/4/6/2/1173282645.13.jpeg
With 5 asteroids for added flavor -- not planned
Same shot with some carbon stars and quasars marked as well as asteroids
identified.
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/9/4/6/2/1173282649.14.jpeg

For something only a CCD can do see my movie of the gasses coming off
Comet Swan last fall.
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/..._B3x3large.gif
Takes a while to load then compresses 30 minutes into a couple seconds
time. A couple galaxies float by in the background. It was binned 3x3
to capture as much light as possible in each 1 minute exposure. No way
Tech Pan could get much at that exposure time.

I think I have just about every image you and Scott posted here archived
on my hard drive as my standard to try and meet. Thanks to the dynamic
range advantage of the CCD I sometimes do, if you ignore my usually poor
seeing. I fail rather often as well but there's always next year!

Nice to be able to finally thank you!

My ISP here doesn't have server space except for commercial users and I
know nothing about setting up a page anyway. That will eventually be my
goal. For now some of my images are on the usenet replayer at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/burner1/arhive_engine?bj=1&dir=1&anz=60&apx=1&noadx=1&xsca nwa0cky%40fake.com.x=7&xscanwa0cky%40fake.com.y=12

Rick