Old April 19th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Leo III (Leo A)

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
I find these odd ball galaxies much more fun than "normal" galaxies.
Besides, they are so rarely imaged no one knows if my version is "correct"
or not!

You sound like me and nebulae...

and the narrowband method is another way to pave my own way in terms of what
the standard reference image looks like

since no one but me, hubble and a few major observatories had typically shot
most of these objects in tricolor eline, these images sort of form the
initial reference collection to some degree. And they typically don't show
as many different ones as I have accumulated in three years of pushing it
hard. So in effect I get to define what is "correct" for a good many of
these objects and at all sorts of different focal lengths

the new stuff has slowed me down a bit in terms of eline nebulae but that's
a whole new universe of things to explore next!

that and a more than full time job in silicon valley.... no rest for the
weary!
rdc

Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:

that's really cool Rick

i've never heard of this but I'm not a galaxy or cluster guy.....

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

After Leo I and Leo II comes Leo III. Why Leo II is also known as Leo B
but Leo III is Leo A I can't fathom. Leo III has a population of very
young stars which is odd for a dwarf with so little dust and gas. It
seems to have had several periods of star birth over its lifetime.

Leo I is a over 800 thousand light years away and Leo II 750 thousand
light years. They are satellites of our galaxy. Leo III however is 2.5
million light years away so a member of our local group but not a
satellite galaxy. Still, thanks to those young massive stars I was able
to resolve quite a few of its stars.

I tried something new when imaging this guy. I used 3x3 binning on the
color frames. Otherwise, through the filters I'd have needed a lot of
exposure time to capture the color of the faint stars. This allowed me
to use half the exposure time and still resolve the stars through the
filters. It turned out well so I may do this more often and save some
imaging time.

14" LX200R@f/10, L=4x10' binned 2x2, RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick