Old April 20th 18, 07:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BFR early next year.

In article , says...

On 3/16/2018 4:15 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

Block 1 will almost certainly not be Mars landing capable.

If the OD (outer diameter) of the
fuselage stays constant that might mean the interior of Block 1 BFS is
much much less capable. Perhaps almost 1-for-1 on par with current
Dragon V2. But enhancement would not require modifications to the
exterior or stage couplings. Only the dry mass increases, which ought to
be able to be handled by propellant loading. There's a whole lot (more)
to come here....

This bit I have no idea what you're talking about. ASCII doesn't put an
accurate picture in my head.

Jeff

Sorry for the extremely late response to this. Got busy.

Simply put, what the interior of the Block 1 BFS (upper stage, outside
of propulsion) actually contains is anybody's guess. But I suspect
beyond propulsion, it probably won't have the huge cabins and spaces of
the Mars ship. First off, if the initial commercial use of BFR are P2P
flights (and Shotwell has gone on record since this original post
appeared that P2P *is* within HER space-time framework not Elon's) it
won't be needed. And maybe for early flights even P2P may not be there.
I was thinking in the terms of taking a Dragon V2 interior and wrapping
it in a BFR exterior. Internal modifications would follow as BFS evolves.

The initial emphasis I believe will be on the BFR first stage. Getting
it up and down. But we'll see.

I respect Shotwell, but I still call b.s. on P2P. Not for a first
generation (first block, whatever you want to call it) fully reusable
TSTO. Maybe in 10+ years, maybe.

Jeff