Old August 5th 03, 09:02 AM
Lucius Chiaraviglio

Default How do we know that the planet in the globular cluster is OF the globular cluster?

I haven't yet seen a satisfactory rebuttal to this: how do we know
that the gas giant discovered recently in the globular cluster (article at
http://www.astro.psu.edu/users/stein...src/planet.pdf or copy at
http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/pa...7/0307339.pdf; press release at
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/2003/19/text) is of the same age as
the globular cluster? Presumably, stars from outside the globular cluster
occasionally fall into it and get captured; the same could happen with a gas
giant planet (or possibly a star having a giant planet could get captured
along with its planet).

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
Approximate E-mail address: