Old March 10th 07, 01:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
kT

Default The 100/10/1 Rule.

Pat Flannery wrote:

kT wrote:

That immediately comes to mind. Basically Krafft Ehricke envisioned
entering into the hydrogen tank with a space suit, from the capsule side.

On the Atlas that was the LOX tank.

I'm building a freaking capsule to go onto a five meter tank, so I'm
damn well going to install my hooks on the factory floor. It's a very
clear shot into the top of the hydrogen tank, and it's right there, I
can talk to Mitsubishi directly about the interface modification.

Unless you are going to go down a tunnel into the LH2 tank, you are
going to arrive at the LOX tank before you get to the LH2 tank, as the
LOX is on top on the ET also.

How many ****ing times do I have to say it - I am not using an ET!

On an EELV upper stage, oxygen, on a hypothetical SSTO - hydrogen. Even
if it is the oxygen tank, I don't care, I just want to get in the tank.

Due to it's higher mass than LH2 per volume, the LOX will end up on top
in pretty much any design you use, for balance purposes during ascent.
You want the CG as far forward as possible.

Actually, I thought we wanted it farther back. That's the way it is with
upper stages. I want the center of pressure to be just right behind it.
By the time the fuel is depleted, I don't care anymore anyways, but the
farther back it is the better. If I want to move it forward, I'll just
add more payload.

I mean really, haven't you guys simulated any of this at all?

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html