Old March 8th 07, 04:03 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

Default The 100/10/1 Rule.

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:46:23 -0600, kT wrote:

However, one can argue that the expendable SSTO approach puts almost an
order of magnitude more mass into orbit, which is what I am suggesting.

Has anyone ever put anything into orbit with a single stage? I know
we've managed SSTS, Single Stage To Space, but I don't think we've
managed SSTO.

I don't think so. SSTO requires engines for efficent than we have and
requires fuel tanks lighter than we have. Both of these technologies need
to be developed to make a SSTO space craft. NASA tried to develop these
technologies a few year ago and failed in both. I don't know if there is
even a concept out there to make SSTO possible.

Danny Deger

Mary "Haven't thought about this for years"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my new blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/