Old March 6th 07, 05:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
kT

Default The 100/10/1 Rule.

kT wrote:

Jan Vorbrüggen wrote:

You would be hard pressed to get an RS-68 to go single stage.
The T/W ratio is twice the SSME, and the Isp is lower.

Isn't the engine T/W somewhat irrelevant? You need a suitable mass
fraction of the whole stage to get to orbit, and the engine mass
surely is only a small fraction of the total dry weight.

You can easily simulate this in orbiter to first order approximation. I
just haven't bothered to do it yet, because the way it stands right now,
if I want to fly either the RS-68 or the RL-10, I can fly the Delta IV.

In my SSME based test vehicle, engine weight is 20%.

Everything that has mass is relevant to SSTO.

Actually I mispoke, the RAW mass of the RS-68 is twice the SSME.

You're right T/W is somewhat less important here. I think it's in the 50
to 1 range.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html