Old July 12th 06, 01:13 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Default Shuttle/Space Policy Historical Development (Was: What good is the Shuttle?)

(Derek Lyons) wrote in
:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

(Derek Lyons) wrote in news:44b272fd.242789375
:

"Skylon" wrote:

Shuttle as an X-series program though? For whatever reason I see
that like this. Maybe fly the first two orbiters, for a good few
years with minimum crews, if you want to launch some payloads, fine
but see how the vehicle works and don't treat it like an operational
beast. Then by the late 1980's/early 90's prepare for two new
shuttles based off the data learned from the first two.

You miss the point.

Jorge proposes picking up in the early 70's where we left off in the
early 60's - start with X-15 derivatives and work towards Shuttle.

I propose something even more radical - Mercury et al *should never
have flown in the first place*. We never should have taken that
propoganda driven route of cheap disposable capsules *in the first
place*.

Well, I was talking in terms of 1972 "what-if" scenarios. If we're
talking 1959 "what-if" scenarios, I'd take yours as well.

I'm not talking a "what-if" scenario Jorge. I'm seriously proposing
that, historically speaking, we messed up our space policy big time
somewhere around 1958.

I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive, Derek. We can both agree
that space policy was messed up and "what-if" about the possible outcome if
the mistakes had not been made. I think you're being unnecessarily
argumentative here.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.