Old April 30th 08, 02:03 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.physics
Tom Potter

Default #89 Is there anything that Intelligent life can do to tag EM radiation as a unique signature of life itself? Tried maser, tried polarization; biophysics trilogy book series: "Darwin Evolution replaced by Superdeterminism from Quantum Mechani

wrote in message
In my previous post I said that the subpulses of pulsars maybe the
signature of life. But no, that
does not work.

Maybe it is the range of frequencies of a given pulsar that is a
unique signature. Jupiter
emits from 15 MHz to 40 MHz, but is Earth emitting from KHz through
MHz all the way
to 300 GHz? We do not know yet. Maybe the range of frequencies is the
unique
signature. And since a doubling of distance away from a Pulsar has the
effect of reducing
the "power density" by 1/4, is perhaps the reason we cannot see a
pattern in the
pulse spectrum of frequencies, for the pattern is attenuated in its
far distance travel through
space.

Perhaps it is all a matter of power density that we have not contacted
alien life. Why would
more advanced intelligence want to talk to "primitive life?" So that
they leave their transmitters
for "on par intelligence" and leave the "pulsed notes for the
primitive aliens". Another possibility is
that more advanced life than humanity may have built something in
their star-system that
makes it difficult to talk to Earth, such as a Air Conditioner which
surrounds their planet
and so closes their window to Earth.

Tonight I explored as many ways of tagging EM waves by intelligent
life for which the Natural
World could not tag. I thought that perhaps there exists no astro body
that emitted maser
(or laser) radiation. Then a simple search of "maser star" revealed
they have been around
for decades. I read a website of a extragalactic maser star red giant.
To my further surprize
masers are common in our solar system where even Comets act as masers.

Then I thought that intelligent life could tagg EM waves to be unique
by polarization. Come
to find out that polarized EM waves are naturally occurring and very
common.

So, short of picking up a signal that reveals itself as a pattern
which is produced only by life,
well, it looks as though life and the natural world are seamless and
that there is nothing
that life can do to EM waves to make it unique signature of life and
not found in the natural
lifeless world. This implies life is a continuum with the lifeless
Natural World.

So far not making any progress in solving a way of "uniquely tagging
EM" but for lack of progress
I am getting an education of radio physics which I never expected to
delve into.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Intelligent beings would develop transmitters and receivers,
and come to understand modulation and digital communications,
and they would eventually utilize digital communications extensively.

As codes with good correlation properties
are essential to effective and efficient
digital communications, no doubt their
transmissions would use
Barker and Gold code sequences,
as there are only a few codes that have
good correlation properties.

The best way to detect intelligent civilizations
is to cross-correlate on these code sequences.

Advance civilizations would also use the
most effective compression systems,
and their signals could be demodulated
by decoding with the best systems.

If you want to detect intelligent life,
and find out what they are interested in,
you should:

1. Scan the skies using high gain, tracking, antennas
and low noise receivers and record the signals.

2. Run cross-correlations on all of the data
using the set of Barker and Gold code sequences.

3. When signals are found,
use advanced MP3 and MP4 type decoders
to extract the unencoded data.

I know that SETA has a program that uses
home computers to analyze the data,
but I don't know if they are looking for
Barker and Gold code sequences.

If they are not,
they are wasting time and resources.

--