Old December 30th 06, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro.seti
Anthony Cerrato

Default The Cow Paradox

"jacob navia" wrote in message
Chris a écrit :
Most ET don't think we are worth contacting, 8000 years

of warfare and we
are still at it. I think they are more likely to pick up

a few nice ones for
pets and gas all the rest so they can take over our

lovely planet that we
are obviously not fit for.

That would be all too human...

I think they just do not care.

Why should they?

Exactly right! Our penchant for warfare and/or our numerous
many other potentially strange practices/customs has nothing
whatsoever to do with lack of being contacted by
hyper-intelligent races in the galaxy--for one thing, the
primary criterion for them to consider a species worth
contacting at all would likely be, for starters, the
prerequisite that the species be an interstellar traveling
one--one, which is ubiquitous in the galaxy already.

Perhaps other rules or behaviors need be adhered too also,
e.g., maybe races have to discover and utilize a certain
advanced form of energy (Zero-point, say) or they must
already be utilizing some advanced form of communication
(FTL, say) to even be detectable.

In any event, this is the only type of species which has
even a chance of being intelligent enough to be worth
contacting. Besides, if we are not that advanced, we might
simply be invisible far as they are concerned...ants
crawling about on a single twig of a single branch of the
tree of the galaxy. sigh ...tonyC