Old November 20th 03, 04:21 AM
Josh Gigantino

Default ISS Modules without Shuttle?

What would be necessary to launch the remaining ISS modules - Node 2,
Centrifuge, Kibo, Columbus - without the Shuttle? Obviously any new
Russian modules will go up on Proton, but I am assuming that would not
be feasible for Shuttle-manifested launches due to politics. What
would be required to launch them on EELVs? Is there a third stage that
could deliver and dock the modules, or co-orbit for docking by the
SSRMS? Could the European ATV be used for this purpose?

I'm wondering what are the issues involved, because Shuttle RTF keeps
slipping and in the recent hearings know one mentioned any other ways
of achieving station complete. Is "station complete" still a realistic
goal?

thanks,
J05H