Old February 13th 18, 12:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX pricing

SpaceX has revealed a bit more about pricing for Falcon Heavy. They've
also announced another barge for the east coast. When used with a
Falcon Heavy, this will allow two booster barge recovery and expendable
core stage flights. This will result in only a 10% performance "hit"
compared to fully expendable mode, but a huge cost savings.

These are the Falcon Heavy numbers I saw on Twitter last night:

Fully Expendable $150 million
Booster Recovery Only $95 million
Booster and Core Recovery $90 million

Also, Troy Bruno got a bit miffed on Twitter that Musk tweeted that
Fully Expendable was $250 million cheaper than the "nearest
competition". Troy tweeted back that Delta IV Heavy only costs about
$350 million. So, if we do the math, it's only a bit more than 2x as
expensive as Fully Expendable instead of Musk claiming it was a bit more
than 3x as expensive as Fully Expendable. I'm not sure how that really
helps ULA's message here, but I'm not paid the "big bucks" like Tory
Bruno is.

The fact is that Booster Recovery Only is getting close to 1/4 the cost
of Delta IV Heavy with only a 10% performance hit. I think that is
proof positive that reuse actually reduces costs to the customer.

Thanks,
Jeff