Old February 22nd 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default Sun's Hot Surface: Influence of Jupiter on our Sun~~~

granite stone wrote:

According to my theory, all stars would have a planet like Jupiter
making it a star. How do you know some stars have no planets?

How do you know that all stars *do* have planets? The is *no*
requirement that a star have planets to be considered a star. Sirius-B
very likely has no planets, and many very low-mass or extremely
high-mass high-luminosity stars probably don't have them either. Many
eccentric binary stars probably do not have planets, as the wildness of
the orbits and the gravitational perturbations would cause any planetary
bodies to either collide with one of the stars or be ejected from the
system.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club: