Old August 14th 03, 03:13 PM
Blurrt

Default Best asteroids to colonize?

"Hop David" wrote in message
Some of the criteria I'm using:

Low inclination

Perihelion near 1 A.U.

Close to earth resonant orbits (good launch opportunities should reoccur
on a regular basis).

Asteroids with 5/4 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_25/1_25.html

Asteroids with 4/3 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_33/1_33.html

Asteroids with 3/2 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_5/1_5.html

Asteroids with 5/3 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/1_66/1_66.html

Asteroids with 2 year orbits:
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/2/2.html

If any of the asteroids have volatiles, they might be able to export
water, fuel and building materials to LEO. Also many of the above
asteroids have close to 1.52 A.U. aphelions and so may occasionally have
opportunities to ferry people & cargo to Mars.

I am confused about claims of low DVs to land on asteroids. Most of the
ones I looked at seem to require greater then Moon escape velocity DV to
match orbits.

About 3/4 of the way down
http://www.permanent.com/t-theory.ht...eroid-missions
the Permanent writer says ". . . the asteroid 1982DB, . . . needs a
delta-v of a mere 0.06 km/sec (i.e., 60 meters per second, or 130 miles
per hour) to be captured by the Earth-Moon system."

I wish I know more about how low DV asteroid missions could be

accomplished.

I think they lowered it using lunar gravity assists.

Blurrt

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html