Old February 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default ASTRO: Helluva CCD chip

On 23 Feb 2004 14:35:52 -0800, (Dennis Persyk) wrote:

I like my dinky little MX716 camera because it reads out all 361 K
pixels in about 5 seconds. The readout time on that Fairchild beast
is 5.6 minutes. Heck, you could almost develop a roll of film in that
time. Besides, what do you do with 15 micron pixels?

Of course, if you integrate for a couple of hours, who cares if it takes five
minutes to get the data? And 15u pixels are about right for a 3m focal length
scope- that is, a typical 12" SCT. On the sort of scopes a sensor like this
would be used on, with corrected optics over more than three inches, 15u is
going to be way undersampled without adaptive optics.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com