Old September 7th 11, 10:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Default New Apollo landing site photos

Pat Flannery wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

* It landed at a pretty severe angle the way it was:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_the_Moon.jpg

That's cool enough I have stored it and set it as the background on my
laptop.

It almost looks like one of the three landing legs partially collapsed
on touchdown; in another photo the angle doesn't look that seve
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...19990709_c.jpg

One of the reasons I like the first one so much is I started my career
at JPL doing unmanned space. Fortran programming for IRAS downlink
processing. It's a bit symbolic for me to not have an astronaut in the
image. I'd love a picture from the time the shuttle rendevoused with
IRAS to repair it. Except for that bit that no shuttle mission ever did
do that so there are no such photos. Sigh. Maybe an image of Huble as
seen from the shuttle and I would switch to that.