Old October 8th 08, 11:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Poll: Orion Atlas vs Losmandy G-11

Longfellow:
What, if anything, is the most common recommendation for a laptop?

The cheapest Windows laptop you can find, running XP Pro. It doesn't
require a lot of horsepower to issue a slew command to a 'scope or an
"open/close shutter" command to a camera. If you're going to do a lot
of image processing, however, see below.

Is
there a capability that is needed that is not available in all brands?

Not needed by all, perhaps, but I find my MacBook Pro's ability to run
the Mac OS, Unix, and Windows (all without emulation) very handy in my
little zerbat'ry. No other brand can do that. Three computers for the
price of one, with serious horsepower for image processing. And priced
very competitively compared to other name-brand laptops _with
comparable hardware_.

On the subject of the mount, my G-11 has been a sterling performer.
http://www.primordial-light.com. I switched to an AP1200 GTO for only
one reason--its additional load capacity. The G-11 is rated at 60 lbs
and I got perfect guiding with as much as 70 lbs on it. Now my load is
about 85 lbs, a bit much for the G-11.

Davoud

--
Don't re-elect the failures of the past eight years.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com