Old December 13th 03, 10:22 PM
Mike Simmons

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message , Ron Baalke
writes

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...dec_saturn.htm

Saturn Rings in the New Year
NASA Science News
December 12, 2003

Lovely Saturn is going to have a close encounter with Earth this year on
New Year's Eve.

Dec. 12, 2003: When the clock strikes midnight on Dec. 31st, heralding the
start of 2004, dash outside and look up. Directly overhead you'll see
a yellow
star outshining the others around it. That star is a planet: Saturn, having its
closest encounter with Earth for the next 29 years.

What are the odds that this will be misinterpreted as meaning this is
the _only_ chance to see Saturn? (As happened with Mars earlier this
year)
But if it's clear, it won't be the first time I've celebrated the New
Year by looking at a planet.

That was my immediate concern on seeing this, Jonathan. I'm certain
that's just what will happen. I've seen it with such announcements
about Mars and other planets over the years. For example, many more
people wanted to see Mars on the night of opposition this year than any
other night. Now they're (whoever "they" are this time) that Saturn can
be seen "When the clock strikes midnight on Dec. 31st" and suggest that
people "dash outside and look up." Nowhere in the article does it say
that Saturn can be seen as essentially identical before and after New
Year's Eve. It even notes at the end that the mysteries of Saturn are
"worth pondering this New Year's Eve. At the stroke of midnight. Looking
up at a world of mystery." While the rest of the article is excellent
-- with lots of great information that's well presented -- I think they
should have expanded a bit on their opening paragraph and provided a bit
more about seeing Saturn for oneself at other times.

Mike Simmons