Old March 5th 07, 10:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default The 100/10/1 Rule.

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:10:19 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Reunite
Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:46:23 -0600, kT wrote:

However, one can argue that the expendable SSTO approach puts almost an
order of magnitude more mass into orbit, which is what I am suggesting.

Has anyone ever put anything into orbit with a single stage? I know
we've managed SSTS, Single Stage To Space, but I don't think we've
managed SSTO.

The old Atlas could have come pretty close. With a small enough
payload, it might have been able to.