Old June 11th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: It's nebula season again

I do reach astronomical twilight here but only by about 1.5 degrees. I
see the difference when I start or end in nautical twilight but to get
any imaging in I have to do that. Gives me about two hours, same as
Stefan. Apparently the difference is the light pollution of Berlin
overwhelming early and late nautical twilight there. Stefan would
likely get three hours imaging here as he's a lot better at dealing with
extra light than I am. And to think, 6 months ago I started imaging
before supper! I could do several objects a night and still go to bed
at a reasonable time!

If I had a cloud sensor I'd just set up for one object and go to bed but
thunderstorms crop up so fast here this time of the year I can't do that
without one. Next in the budget is one but they've been out of stock
now for some time. I was told they'd have a new shipment a couple weeks
ago but still not there.

I started imaging last night but only two frames in a thunder storm blew
up. Didn't give us any rain but sure clouded up fast. Lousy seeing
with the highly unstable air is another problem. This is when I need
low res wide angle where seeing wouldn't be an issue.

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Actually here at 52 degrees north we don't even reach astronomical
twilight. The time where some imaging is possible is restricted from
about midnight to 2 o'clock in the morning (daylight saving time). It
looks to be clear this night, but I really wonder if it is worth to set
everything up (and get to bed very late in spite of having to work
tomorrow) for only two hours of imaging...

Stefan

"Richard Crisp" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message

it is nebula season again!

I fear it is. You certainly get great pictures in summer, but for me
it is drought time, being "into" galaxies.
At least I can get a bit more sleep in summer, when nights don't
really exist here up north.

i took notice of the skies on Friday night (june 8)

it wasn't dark enough to image before 10:10pm

it was too bright to image by 4:35am

i am at 37.5 deg north roughly