Old January 16th 18, 11:30 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacobnavia

Default Astronomy and Biology

Le 07/01/2018 à 16:52, jacobnavia a écrit :
We have to get to the same level when looking for alien life. If you are
convinced that it doesn't exist, you will never find it.

The answers I got weren't really satisfying.

Why can't that dammed rover turn around and look if there is anything
breathing in the soil?

I said:

To find something, you have to believe it exists.

Steve answered:

Yes, that's why Galileo never found sunspots or the moons of Jupiter:
he had no pre-existing conception that they existed. ... Oh, wait...

Look, he did not look away when they appeared before his eyes. The
problem with Mars life is that we do not look for it and our rover goes
on. No further investigation is needed, humans look away.

In another post, Brad answered:

There is ample evidence for abiotic methane. This has been suspected
for quite some time. I believe first proposed by Soviet Geologists in
the 1950's. Here's a link to a new open access paper detailing
a process for abiotic methane.
/https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14134

Of course, it could be abiotic methane. But isn't worth investigating that?

Why would abiotic methane, produced at great depths and temperatures
here on earth as that paper explains, have a seasonal appearence? In
spring... that looks suspicious to me.

If it is abiotic it would be at least an answer. But it is not deemed
necessary just to investigate!

We just look away.