Old November 11th 03, 03:09 AM
Scott Lowther

Default Von Braun rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Actaully, no. This one is for real. While Mercado/Miranda have drawn
them up... the three-views shown at the top fo this page are the real
deal.

WHAT! A secret German aircraft project I didn't know about? (much less
have a model of?) I thought I knew about them all...if some German
designer got a few too many beers in him, and scribbled out something
with forward swept wings, rockets, and ramjets on a paper napkin in the
bar, I thought it would have been in one of my books;

Do you have "Die Deutsche Luftrustung, 1933-1945," Volumes 1 through 4,
by Nowarra? Nowarra's a reliable source. His drawings tend to suck, as
they're generally second-gen 1960's photocopies from microfilm, but
they're the real deal. The Fi-166 is in Volume II, pages 32-33. I don't
have a copy of the work, but I've a folder with a bunch of photocopies
from it.

Here is an interesting thought- Why didn't the
Germans ever stick an A5 on the nose of an A4- the way we did with the
WAC Corporal in Project Bumper?

Because the A-5 was reusable, and launching it atop an A-4 would have
made it impossible to recover. And the idea of launching a rocket like
that and not recoviring it... why, that's just down-right non-Teutonic.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam