Old August 27th 03, 04:47 PM
Fred Williams

snip for brevity
My weak explanation was that I "couldn't afford a color telescope,"
then I tried to remember the rods and cones in the eye and all that.
But I know there is a better and shorter way to explain this...

Low light levels tend to make colours disappear. My old astronomy
teacher used to say "When the lights are down all lipstick looks
black." (:-)) I think it's because the colour receptors (cones, I
think), are less sensitive to light. Of course nothing really has
"colour" till it gets to your brain. There's just different
frequencies till then.

--
Regards
Fred