Old February 18th 05, 10:27 PM
Fred J. McCall

Pat Flannery wrote:

:Scott Hedrick wrote:
:
:THe Russians have a "penguin suit"- would the placement of weights in and
:around the suit help, similar to the use of weights while power walking?
:While it wouldn't eliminate the need for exercise, it should provide some
:benefit, and the weights could be removed when they would cause problems. A
:constant small stress has got to provide some benefit.
:
:Astronauts and cosmonauts who've used the "penguin suits" really dislike them.
:I take it the idea of the weights is to force them to move mass around
:with their movements; how about a suit that contained springs to work
:against instead? Alternately, one with air pressurized tubes that would
:take effort to move, thereby using the stiffness problem of pressure
:suits to one's advantage?

The problem is that we don't really know that ANY of those will help
much.

territory."
--G. Behn