Old October 8th 08, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Longfellow

Default Poll: Orion Atlas vs Losmandy G-11

On 2008-10-08, Bill wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:26:33 -0500, Longfellow wrote:

snip

Regardless of the mount chosen, the main thing is knowing your own
needs/wants from a goto system.

I'll be having other observers from time to time, and not having to
watch the star hopping of a neophyte is almost certain to be
appreciated. Also, I'm given to understand that it actually helps users
to learn the sky...

For example: safety features to alert the user and/or prevent/stop a
mount from slewing/tracking your scope into your pier/tripod may not be
critical if you sit at the scope. But it could be very important if
you're prone to nodding off to sleep while at the scope, or would be
located some distance away, and not be able to intervene in time to
prevent damage to your equipment.

Oww...! I can just see that happening, especially during a long viewing
session. Thanks for the heads up!

On a happier note, If you'll be doing imaging, one feature I would
personally look for in a goto system is the ability to upload
customized periodic error correction data/files from a personal
computer. This would permit efficient use of tools like Ray Gralak's
"Pem Pro" (www.ccdware.com).

Interesting. I'm noting that PEC algorithms are advertized as included,
which presumably allow the detection and compensation for any PEC for
the mount in question.

At the moment, I've got the Orion 8" Newtonian with the SkyPro mount,
which is quite obviously inadequate for imaging, so I'm looking to
up-grade the mount. In addition, I'm trying to determine what is and is
not really useful at an imaging session, and having a laptop to control
the hardware seems to be a requirement. Which begs its own question:

What, if anything, is the most common recommendation for a laptop? Is
there a capability that is needed that is not available in all brands?
Or does it really matter? I can see the ability to resist collected dew
as a needful thing, what else?

PemPro can collect many cycles of PE data, then aid you in produce
various optimized sets of PE corrections that can be uploaded to the
mount -- in sync with the RA drive. Really nice option to have for
imaging -- not needed at all for visual use.

Enjoy the journey...

Bill

Thanks!

Longfellow