Old May 27th 20, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Way off topic: Usenet Server vs Google Groups

On 2020-05-27 10:41 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Any thoughts or opinions about this? I came here to ask because I
came here so often and feel I am known (or should be) and can trust
opinions...provided people don't turn snarky.

I use Eternal September, which is a free Usenet News server. I
personally hate Google's web page based Usenet News interface.

Jeff

Hi Mike, yes it's been a long time since I've seen a post from you.
If you haven't been following sci.space - sci.space.policy for awhile you
should know the following:

1) Pat Flannery passed away in October 2011.

2) The "OM", Bob Mosley passed away in October 2015.

3) Fred McCall passed away in July 2019.

4) Henry Spencer left sci.space.* news groups nearly two decades ago but
still posts on the ARocket Mailing List:

https://www.freelists.org/archive/arocket/

5) Mary Shafer never posts here anymore. I don't know what her status is
these days.

6) Rand Simberg left sci.space.* newsgroups for his own blog he

http://www.transterrestrial.com/

7) Herb Shaltegger left sci.space.* newsgroups for the forums at
NASASpaceFlight dot com he

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php

8) Greg Moore has taken over moderation of the sci.space.tech
sci.space.science newsgroups. They are pretty much exclusively news
bulletins now from NASA and The Planetary Society, but you can still post
there when Greg approves it.

Like Jeff, I switched from paying a monthly subscription to GigaNews to
Eternal September which is free. I never had a moments problem with
GigaNews, but with traffic here being so infrequent, like you, I had
trouble justifying even the minor expense.

Works fine with the Thunderbird news client that I use under Windows. I
don't see why it wouldn't also work with Forte. I really find the Google
USENET News interface unbearable and worth every minute they (Google)
obviously spent on improving it, which seems something akin to being
vanishingly approaching zero. -(

Good to hear from you. I was not as frequent a poster as even you were back
in those days (90s)...

Whole new ball game in Space with the New Space companies out there these
days. Much for the better I believe. This afternoon will be a milestone if
SpaceX-DRM2 is a go.

There is very little traffic here anymore. Most of the discussions have
moved to the moderated web forums, like NASA Space Flight dot com (see
above).

Millennials look at newsgroups like my generation looked at punch cards!

Dave

Now we just have to convince them it's better than reddit and other stuff.
Which, sometimes it is.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/