Old May 27th 20, 02:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Michael Gallagher

Default Way off topic: Usenet Server vs Google Groups

Hi, everybody,

It's been a very long time since I posted here...which is part of the
problem.

I've been weighing which charges to drop from my credit card, and one
of them is the $11.99/month charge for Supernews, which I have used
for Usenet access for between 15 and 20 years, and I am using it to
post this thread. You may remember I used to post here and mix it up
a lot. Not so much in recent years. So I have been toying with the
idea of dropping supernews altogether. On the one hand it would save
me some money. On the other hand, I am old school in using Usenet,
even preferring Forte Agent as my reader of choice. If Google let you
use a regular reader it would be an easy choice, but no, you have to
use their web site.

I've been lurking for the past couple of days, looking at full message
headers and I can see some people use google but others do not. There
does not seem to be a clear trend. And obviously, I have yet to make
up my mind.

Any thoughts or opinions about this? I came here to ask because I
came here so often and feel I am known (or should be) and can trust
opinions...provided people don't turn snarky.

Thanks.