Old February 23rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to sci.image.processing,sci.astro.ccd-imaging,comp.graphics.algorithms
Roberto Waltman

Default Matching images from different sources.

Roberto Waltman wrote:
Looking for information, algorithms, etc. on how to match images of
the same object obtained from different sources.

MCammarano wrote:
This problem is often called multimodal registration. It crops up in
medical imaging (align an MRI with a CT scan, for example) and
aerial/satellite imaging (line up images acquired in different spectral
bands).
You might find a technique called "alignment by maximization of mutual
information" helpful.

Thanks for the pointers, a first Google search is bringing more
relevant hits than what I was able to find before.

"ImageAnalyst" wrote:
... building up feature vectors.
... In some fields (medical, remote sensing, military) they have
a problem such as yours. The terms you want to search for are "image
fusion" or "data fusion" and have to do with aligning images from
different modalities, like how can you overlap corresponding physical
slices from a CT image and an MRI image.

Ditto.

You just missed the image fusion conference but maybe you can get
proceedings, or go next year:
http://www.iqpc.com/cgi-bin/template...9&event=11435&

That would be very nice, but at this time this is just a thought
experiment. Even if it wasn't, nobody is going to pay me to attend
such a conference. Well, maybe if I reincarnate somewhere in academia

Hoping this posts (please Google!!!)

Going off topic, I use Google extensively for searching, never for
posting. The best environment I found after trying a few different
things is Forte's Agent as a usenet reader (Windows, Linux under Wine)
and http://news.individual.net/ as a usenet provider. (Not free, but
only 10 euros per year).

Thanks again,

Roberto Waltman