Old September 11th 03, 05:15 PM
Aaron Desilet

Default Is a Space Elevator more risky than the shuttle?

Thanks for the serious reply...how long did you spend writing all that
nonsense anyways?

Pat Flannery wrote in message ...
Aaron Desilet wrote:

I was just curious about this whole space elevator situation. How
exactly would they get this nanotube attached from space to the
ground. Would it be dropped in a way? Or flown up?

We use a spinning super conducting disk to generate an antigravity
field, which then levitates the nanotubes upwards...no, wait... we dig a
giant cannon barrel into the ground at the equator and with the aid of
The Baltimore Gun Club, we shoot the upper end into geosynchronous
orbit...no, wait...a flock of eagles on it's yearly migration to the
Moon carries the...no,wait...we tie a bottle of dew to the end, and as
the sun rises, it starts to pull...Baron Munchausen reaches down from
the Moon and...as the cow jumps over the Moon, from each of her teats is
suspended...with the aid of a flying squirrel and Upsidaisium we....an
immense Teslanic tower is built...with the aid of Giant Stinkhorn
genetic material, we mutate a Redwood tree in to a 25,000 mile high
(this being the Supergiant Stinkwood)....
Wait a minute... I've got it!
First creating a wormhole with one end at the construction site for the
string; and the other at the destination point for the nanotube line
anchor point, we then attach the two with around three feet of heavy
navel anchor chain; then, using the space suit equipped Giant Inchworm
(now a Mileworm) created by the judicious use of recovered dinosaur DNA,
we carry the cargo through the wormhole- and on to it's final destination.
Not only does this solve the problem elegantly, but the giant worm can
also be used to clear any pesky equatorial forests that may surround the
space elevator construction site...and can lay a new organic space
elevator cable each time it lowers itself back to Earth and the end of
it's mission.
If the worm becomes surely and uncooperative, we trick it into
descending into Japan with the promise of tasty petite Bonsai
arboriums...where it will not meet with perversely bred foot-high
Redwood trees, but the unstoppable might of the Japanese Self Defense
Force's legendary Giant Insect Divison...and after they have bravely
sated its anger by being ground into red-as-the-rising-sun mush under
its rampaging pseudopods- we call on those two six inch high Mothra
girls to sing it into a restful torpor...then have Godzilla roast it
like a weeny, and stomp it like a turd.

Pat