Old October 8th 07, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.station
M. Trimble

Default Moon Laws

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:53:10 -0700, Space Cadet wrote:

Hi All
Got this email from a friend of mine:

Hi all, I am working on a new lesson for my second graders focusing on
Moon Laws. If YOU were given the task of creating a constitution, laws,
bill of rights for people in a future lunar colony what would YOU
include? I'd love to have your input! Thanks,

My first thought is that doesn't the OST say or at least imply that the
country that launches an object/probe/spacecraft is responsible for said
object? And whatever rule of law applies to that country would apply to
said object?
Even if you would go with a privately funded moon colony. That company
would be based on some nation on Earth, and whatever laws apply to that
country would apply to the colony? What about an international colony,
would it be the country that funds most of the colony? Or do international
laws/treaties apply hear? What is the setup for ISS?

Just my $0.02

Space Cadet

derwetzelsDASHspacecadetATyahooDOTcom

Moon Society - St. Louis Chapter

http://www.moonsociety.org/chapters/stlouis/

The Moon Society is a non-profit educational and scientific foundation
formed to further scientific study and development of the moon.

Why are you concerned with the concrete in favor of the abstract?
A hypothetical constitution for a lunar sovereignty, irrespective of it's
earthly heritage, has the potential to set forth grandiosee generalities
regarding human behavior. And you're concerned where the laws come from????