Old September 3rd 07, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Buran evolution - wish I understood Russian!

Cruithne3753 wrote:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/history.htm

There are some interesting stages in the evolution of the
Energia/Buran design, the OS-120 resembling the American Shuttle in
having three main engines but additionaly having two small (solid?)
engines on either side of the orbiter

I assume those are abort engines; some of our early shuttle designs had
them also.
(should have kept them, they might have saved Challenger).
Though they don't point it out, most of their illustrations are linked
to other pages on that website; here's the linked page on the OS-120:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/os-120.htm

, the OK-92 having a single engine and a pair of what appear to be
landing jets, to the flown version.

Here's the linked page to that: http://www.buran.ru/htm/ok-92.htm
Including a cutaway of the jet engines.

Pat