Old December 7th 04, 02:12 PM
Herman Rubin

In article . net,
Thomas Schoene wrote:
Paul F. Dietz wrote:
wrote:

Titanium was relatively rare and expensive.

Titanium the element is not rare. Common white paint pigment
is titanium dioxide.

But titanium the metal was fairly rare, and unfortunately concentrated in
other places (the Soviet Union, South Africa, etc.) where it was not easy
for the United States to get it at a reasonable price.

I do not know if there are easier ores. The reason for
the name "titanium" is that it holds on to its bonds
with "titanic" strength.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558